Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Alzheimer's EVERYONES concern




I personally believe a big part of me, who I am and what I feel and think relies on my mind and especially my memories. These memories have helped and shaped my present personality and make-up my true essence. When I think back on my childhood or nice family memories I realize this are the memories that influence me daily these past experiences truly shape me. I can't imagine finding out progressively all these memories and important characters in my life will be erased because I’ll forget them and worse of all to find out there is no cure for the disease only pills that can slow the progress of it. I would feel so frustrated and powerless knowing my life and my identity would change so drastically. I believe one of the worse consequences of Alzheimer's is the drastic change in personality of the victims how many of them become very violent and easily irritated without really being aware. This change in personality not only affects the victim but in my opinion it deeply hurts the people surrounding them like family or old friends that have to watch the person's true essence vanish away. A great example is the video we watched during class in which a man suffering of Alzheimer was sent to a clinic and forgot he had wife and openly flirted with another lady. One day his wife arrived and had to endure watching him with another women. I personally can't imagine how much it must hurt and affect emotionally to watch the person you've known and loved for so long change so much. For reasons like this I believe one of Alzheimer's worse consequences is the change in attitude or personality as a consequence of a progressive decline in memory.

Alzheimer's is a disease that not only takes away your true identity and memories but completely ends with your independence and free will or liberty. Alzheimer's is a difficult disease that not only leads to death at a certain point but forces the patient to endure various pains and sufferings. Personally I believe Alzheimer’s is a disease that ends with a persons true identity and can be very treacherous. I would definitely not like to experience or witness anyone suffer from this disease due to the fact that it is not only very harmful but has little or no cure. As stated in the new research for understanding Alzheimer's posted in Time's there is little knowledge over what cause or influences Alzheimer's and there is little money being provided for research. The fact that there is no true cure for this disease is very frustrating and should be a concern for everyone because do to it's mystery and uncertainty we never know if we one day may suffer of it. Alzheimer's is a very hard emotional and physical disease to endure and it should be everyone’s concern.


No comments:

Post a Comment